Photosynthesis occurs in the chloroplasts (small, flattened organelles).
- Thylakoid membranes: A system of interconnected, flattened fluid filled sacs. Proteins including photosynthetic pigments and electron carriers are in the membrane and are involved in the light-dependent reaction
- Granum: A stack of thylakoids
- Thylakoid space: Fluid within the thylakoid sacs contain enzymes for photosynthesis
- Stroma: Fluid surrounding the thylakoid membranes. Contains enzymes needed for the light-independent reactions
- Starch grain: Stores the products of photosynthesis