PHOTOSYNTHESIS KEY WORDS
- Phospohorylation: Adding phosphate to a molecule (ADP is phosphorylated into ATP)
- Photophosphorylation: Adding of a phosphate molecule using light
- Photolysis: Splitting of a molecule using light
- Hydrolysis: Splitting of a molecule using water (ATP hydrolysed to ADP)
- Redox reactions: Involve oxidation (losing electrons) and reduction (gaining electrons)
Chloroplasts are adapted for photosynthesis because thylakoids have a large surface area so more light can be absorbed. Stroma contains the enzymes needed for light independent reactions and the chloroplast envelops keeps reactants close to reaction sites.